Welcome to the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, the seat of the Catholic Archdiocese of Milwaukee for over 150 years.
The Cathedral is designed in an austere German style known as Zopfstil and built of Milwaukee brick. Since the laying of the cornerstone December 5, 1847, the exterior appearance has changed very little except for the present tower, which was constructed in 1893, and the expansion of the east end of the building, which was added during the rebuilding of the Cathedral after the fire that partially destroyed the church on January 29, 1935.
The Cathedral was rededicated on February 9, 2002 after a complete restoration and renewal of the interior and exterior to maintain its beauty and elegance. Architects and artists have acclaimed the Cathedral and its magnificent tower as one of the most admired pieces of architecture in Milwaukee and have created many fine etchings, a tribute to its beauty. The Cathedral has been designated a Milwaukee landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historical Places.