The Open Door Cafe the Cathedral
It is said that when God closes a door, God always opens a window. But at the Open Door Cafe, we don’t believe that God is a door closer.
We believe in a God of goodness without limits. A God who loves without condition or end. A God who pours out love. A God who opens countless windows and doors, all the time.
Nevertheless, doors close. Eviction notices are posted. Pink slips are given. Divorce papers are signed. Diagnoses are handed over. Loved ones die. All of these are closed doors that lead to people experiencing poverty, homelessness and hunger.
The Open Door Cafe witnesses God’s boundless love, opening doors each day:
- in the hundreds of individual volunteers who nurture a warm environment for our hot lunch, bag lunch and hygiene kit distribution
- by our donors who give generously to keep us cooking (please see foundation funders from the last fiscal year below)
- through theÂ dedication of our mission-focused Core Volunteers and staff
- by hunger-alleviating organizations like Hunger Task Force and Feeding America who provide healthy, affordable food
- in the courage of our guests to enter the Open Door Cafe after doors have been closed on them
We invite you to join us – to share a meal, to serve, to donate, to be God’s love in our world today!
To volunteer at the Cafe, please call Rachel at 414/276-9814, ext. 308.
Open Door Cafe is generously funded by the following foundations:
Helen Bader Foundation
Catholic Community Foundation
Park Bank Foundation
Astor Street Foundation
Hunger Task Force
A.W. Asmuth Family Fund at the Greater Milwaukee Foundation
WE Energies Foundation
Northwestern Mutual Life
Illinois Tool Works Foundation
Sixteen Inch Society – Milwaukee