To see the Mass/Service schedule for Palm Sunday through Easter (Holy Week) follow this link: HOLYWEEKSCHEDULE..
Additional Opportunities for Prayer during the Season of Lent
During the season of Lent there are two additional opportunities for prayer. Lenten Vespers are celebrated each Sunday of Lent at 5:15 pm and Stations of the Cross are celebrated each Friday of Lent following the 5:15 pm Mass.
The 2017 Lenten season began March 1 with the observance of Ash Wednesday. Regulations pertaining to fast and abstinence are printed below.
The Catholic Church asks each member to preserve the penitential character and purpose of Lent. For this reason:
- Catholics who celebrated their 14th birthday are bound to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and each Friday of Lent;
- Catholics who have celebrated their 18th birthday, in addition to abstaining from meat, should fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Hence, on those days they should eat only one full meal. Smaller quantities of food may be taken at two other meals, but no food should be consumed at other times during those two days. The obligation of fasting ceases with the celebration of one’s 59th birthday.
Catholics should not lightly excuse themselves from these prescribed minimal penitential practices.
Are you up for a Lenten Challenge? This Lent we are inviting all who worship at the Cathedral to take the challenge of getting to know Jesus better by taking 1% of each day (15 minutes) to pray with Scripture for 30 days. And we have everything you need – the Scripture Passages and Prayer Process – on an attractive, simple-to-use, bible bookmark card. Let’s take the 1% Challenge together by starting on Ash Wednesday and finishing on Passion Sunday. Here is the web site address to download all you need to get started for a life altering change: http://www.johnpaul2center.org/OnePercentChallenge
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to give us a call at the Cathedral parish 414-276.9814 Ext 605 and ask for one of the Evangelization Team Members. Blessings in this Lenten season and pray on to know Jesus in your life!
Prayer, Fasting and Almsgiving
Need some resources to assist you in your Lenten discipline? Here are three:
- The Best Lent Ever is a free, video-based email program featuring internationally acclaimed speaker Matthew Kelly, author of “Rediscovering Jesus” and “Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic.” To receive these daily reflections following this link: BEST LENT.
- Daily Lenten Reflections is a journey with Bishop Robert Barron along Christ’s Way of the Cross. This is a free resource and is available online and through Facebook. Sign up for this resource by following this link: LENTEN REFLECTIONS.
- Living Lent Daily: is a daily e-mail service delivering fresh reflections based on the Scriptures of Lent. Each day’s message includes a quotation from the day’s Scripture readings and a brief reflection to spur meditation, prayer, and self-examination. Follow this link to sign up: LENT DAILY.
Human Concerns Activities During Lent
The Human Concerns Commission of the Cathedral has a number of events during the season of Lent. Follow this link to see all of these great opportunities: HCEVENTS.
Lenten Communal Reconciliation – East Side Catholic Communities
A communal celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (with individual confession and absolution) for the Season of Lent will be offered for parishioners of the Catholic Communities of the East Side of Milwaukee on Saturday the 8th of April at the Holy Rosary Site of Three Holy Women Parish (2011 North Oakland Avenue, Milwaukee) beginning at 10:00 AM. The priests of the parishes of the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, Old St. Mary, Our Lady of Divine Providence, SS. Peter & Paul, and Three Holy Women will be assisting with the Sacrament.
Easter Flower Memorials
We are currently accepting memorial donations for the season of Easter. If you would like to remember a loved one or donate in honor of an individual during the Easter season, please send your memorial to the parish office, either in the envelope provided in your monthly packet or in an envelope marked “Easter Flower Memorial.” Memorial donations made through Monday, April 17 will be included in our annual listing on the Second Sunday of Easter, April 23. Your generosity is greatly appreciated. Please be assured of our prayers for your loved ones.
An Evening in Lent with Fr. Mike Hammer
An Evening in Lent with Fr. Mike has been scheduled for Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 6:30 pm in the Atrium. Dinner followed by presentation focusing on “Being with Jesus as he carries the Cross.” The presentation will be an inspiring celebration filled with music, poetry, humor and reflection.
RSVP is necessary by Monday, March 6, 2017 to Pat Wisialowski, Pastoral Associate at 414/276-9814, ext. 302 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Freewill offering accepted!